Monday, November 01, 2010
Spiritual McKay
I have to tell you what McKay said to me tonight. First of all, it was time to clean up toys. We have the kids clean up their toys every night or I would go crazy and to teach them to take responsibility for their stuff. Anyway, I set the timer and McKay was slow and when the timer went off he had a few things left on the floor that he did not pick up and so he was not allowed to have any of his Halloween candy for dessert (that is usually their reward, dessert). He was not very happy about this and cried and sulked. Before he went to bed I put him on my lap and held him and rocked him and told him I loved him and then he went downstairs and said good night and I love you to Kory. He went to bed and I was down working when Erica came down with some excuse of why she could not sleep. So I took her back to bed and when I got her down McKay sat up in bed and said with a big smile, "I have to tell you three things. First, when I grow up, instead of a Lego Designer I want to be the Prophet. Second, my favorite book is the scriptures. Third, my favorite thing to watch is the BYU channel, and (he added another one) my favorite day of the week is Sunday." He then told me that at school during math his teacher gave them some coins and he noticed on them that they said "In God We Trust." He said that when he was trying to sleep those words came into his mind and he said he couldn't help but sing "I Am a Child of God." Then he said that this was the best night ever. He was just beaming with happiness. I slipped in that he was feeling the spirit. I was kind of in shock as I have never heard anything quite this deep and spiritual from him before. He often surprises me with things like this just out of the blue. Amazing what goes through the mind of a 7 year old. I sure am glad I made sure that he knew I loved him just before bed. I think that helped bring the spirit back into our home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great kid! I kept waiting for the, "Now, do I get dessert?" which would have been the tag line at my house. Good job, Mom!!!!
Post a Comment