Friday, November 18, 2005
Daniel, in one of his comments, asked what my profession was and what it entails, so here you go: I am a Medical Transcriptionist. I work for St. Luke's Regional Medical Center in Boise. As you can see from the picture below, I work from home using the computer, Internet, and my dictation machine. I log onto the the website that I type my reports in and turn on my dictation machine and start typing. I work from around 1 p.m. to 11 p.m.(with breaks in between and making dinner), 8 days a week, Monday through Friday. The first thing I type is Radiology reports and when those run out, I work on Emergency Room reports, then Occupational Medicine reports, and last Discharge Summaries. It is a great job but also has its disadvantages. It is definately not for everyone. It was very hard training and getting used to all the doctors and their lingo, it takes a lot of concentration so I don't mess up on the words, and it is menotenous work, by the time Friday comes I am wiped out and sick of the computer and typing. This has been a great job for us and helps to have the extra money. I am not planning on doing this forever, just till we get settled into a house or a baby comes, but I think I will gradually quit by cutting down my hours to part-time then going from there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow, sounds like a lot of hard work to me. Heather did similar work from home for awhile when we lived in Provo with insurance claim information. Just be careful not to wear out your wrists. So do you get paid hourly or do you get paid for number of things completed? It seems like when Heather did this, it always took her twice as long as you would figure with baby distractions and it became a very tedious battle to make the hours worth the money being paid... Thanks for the peek into your life, keep it up! What Church callings do you guys have these days?
I get paid by the hour but if I type over 150 lines an hour I get a bonus of 3 cents a line after that. If I type fast that is an extra $300 a paycheck. So far my wrists are great. It was hard jugling work when McKay was younger but it is a lot better now and he is used to it. I am the primary secretary and Kory is cub master and also teaches once a month in Elder's Quorum.
I was just called to Primary Secretary last month :) we should swap ideas.
Michael was called in September as the Elder's Quorum Secretary. fun...fun....:) We are both really enjoying it.
How do you work 8 days a week?
Post a Comment